Today’s guest post is perfect for this heat wave we are all enduring! (Has your makeup melted off today, too??) Here you will find some great tips for a healthy summer season, written by LifeAficionada reader Shawn Tremaine.
Depending on where you live, you may have been dreaming of summer for what has seemed like an eternity—the green grass, the full trees, the warm days. And now it’s here, complete with all the great (and sometimes bad) things that the heat brings. If you’re like me, you’ve been chomping at the bit to spend some time out at the beach. But just because the summer days can often feel long, lazy, and relaxed compared to the rest of the year doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t still live an active, healthy lifestyle.
Here are 7 surefire tips for a healthier summer that I follow whenever possible:
- Take advantage of the sunshine. Sunshine offers many benefits to you, starting with the fact that it stimulates your body to produce more vitamin D, an essential nutrient that the body needs. Additionally, experiencing a sunny day will have a positive effect on your mental state, acting to reduce your levels of stress. To me, that may be the biggest benefit of them all!
- Wear sunblock whenever possible. This goes hand-in-hand with number 1. While the sun can have some great benefits on your body, it can also do harm if you don’t protect yourself. Without the appropriate amount and SPF level of sunscreen, you may leave yourself vulnerable to sunburn, skin cancer, and advanced aging, which none of us want. That’s why you must be sure to choose the right sunblock (not tanning oil!).
- Protect your eyes. Much like your skin, the sun can do significant damage to your eyes if you do not protect them. The easiest way to do this is by wearing sunglasses whenever you are either outside or driving. And not just any glasses. I recommend buying sunglasses that have been proven to block over 99% of ultraviolet rays.
- Add more fruits and vegetables to your diet. The summer offers probably the best selection of in-season fruits and vegetables for you to choose from. So take advantage of this! Put away those common vegetables you cook with the rest of the year and change it up a bit. Start juicing at home. Your taste buds will be happy you did.
- Stay hydrated. More than any other season, it is vital that you are conscious about hydration during the summer months. This is especially true if you are spending a lot of time outside or in the gym. Your body needs fluids to keep running, and in the summer heat these fluids are likely to get depleted faster than they would at any other time of the year. So grab yourself a bottle of water or a sports drink, and make sure you keep it with you whenever possible.
- Be more social! Whether it’s long days at the beach, barbecues in your backyard, or a concert in the park, summer is the perfect time to spend more days with your friends and loved ones. This not only increases your overall level of happiness but also tends to increase the amount of physical activity you participate in, both of which are great for your body.
- Don’t binge drink. Yes, I just told you to be more social. No, that does not mean drinking every night of the week with your buddies. That’s not to say that occasional moderate drinking is not okay. Just know your limits and stay within them.
About The Author: Shawn Tremaine is a personal trainer and health and fitness writer, and has reviewed MindBodyMojo. When he’s not working on helping others increase their health, he likes to spend it coaching his little boys soccer team.